Whether you need your snow blower after a blizzard or just an ice scraper on a frosty morning, it’s so important to have all your winter equipment ready and accessible when you need it. However, it’s not just for convenience: when your winter equipment is protected from the snow, ice, sleet, and corrosive materials, it will work efficiently and will need to be replaced less often.
From small storage sheds you can keep near your front or back door to detached garages you can keep in your backyard or on your driveway, there are many great portable storage options to keep your winter equipment safely stored and ready for use.
Let’s look at some of our favorite types of units for winter equipment storage, and how you can use them to be ready when the next snowstorm hits:
Deck Boxes and Small Metal Sheds for Quick Access to Winter Equipment
When you’re hit with a snowstorm or your wet stairs, sidewalk, and driveway freeze over, there are certain items you may want to access quickly. For you, it may be essential items such as a snow shovel, roof rake, sand, and some sort of ice melt. Your kids may have a different idea: like toys that can be used for snow day fun.
For both purposes, a deck boxes or a small metal sheds would be the ideal storage solution by the front or back door for snow and ice removal equipment, winter toys, and more. Here are some practical storage options that will even add to your front yard or backyard aesthetics:
Spacemaker Deck Box
Spacemaker’s tough and attractive steel deck boxes fit nicely on the front or back porch. Its top opening makes it very practical for keeping buckets of sand or bags of ice melt dry.
- Designed to be assembled in just 30 minutes
- Pneumatic lift for easier access to your items
- Comes in attractive anthracite or espresso finish
The sturdy steel Spacemaker Versa-Shed is made of reinforced steel and can store items such as snow shovels, roof rakes, saucer sleds, snow toys, and more. It’s the perfect size for the back patio or deck.
- Swinging front doors for easy access
- Foam core lining for extra impact resistance
- Rich onyx finish for an attractive, modern look
Spacemaker Patio Steel Storage Shed
The attractive, sturdy Spacemaker Patio Steel Storage Shed is the perfect size for the back patio or deck. For example, you can use it to keep toboggan sleds, snow shovels, roof rakes, and other outdoor items nearby.
- Tall 6-foot walls for storing larger items inside
- Wide swing doors give you easy access to your stuff
- Attractive 2 tone aesthetics compliment home exteriors
Metal Sheds and Fabric Sheds for Winter Equipment and Outdoor Fun
When a snowstorm hits, you want your winter equipment like a snow thrower, snowblower, a riding mower with a plow attachment, or a generator ready at a moment’s notice. However, if you keep them outdoors, then you will need to remove the snow and ice from them before you can use them. Also, if they are stored under a tarp without proper ventilation, the condensation could form in the engine and cause performance issues.
When you keep your emergency and snow removal equipment stored in rugged fabric sheds or tough metal sheds, you will be better prepared to clear the snow from your driveway and walkways. Not only that, but you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your winter equipment is safe and secure and not just left out in the open.
A portable shed can be used to store more than just snow removal equipment. In addition, you can use it to store everything you need for winter fun! Metal sheds or fabric sheds are great for keeping gear such as skis, snowboard, sleds, snowshoes, snow tubes, ATV, ice fishing equipment, and more collected and ready for action!
Here are some great portable shed solutions that can go anywhere in your backyard and keep you ready for the snow:
The portable ShelterLogic Shed-in-a-Box can be moved anywhere you need to use it in your backyard. It has a ripstop tough fabric cover that can take on harsh winter weather, and a sturdy steel frame that can be anchored to most surfaces*.
- White interior provides extra illumination so you can find what you need fast
- Roll-down front cover opens wide for easy access to your winter equipment
- Ratchet-Tite tensioning system assures a neat-looking drum tight cover
Arrow EZEE Shed
The Arrow EZEE Shed is a strong, distinctive backyard shed. It’s uniquely designed to use 50% less hardware than the typical quick assembly shed, so the assembly time is significantly less. The design also strengthens the unit’s steel walls, so it’s not prone to denting.
- Large lockable swing doors for easy access to equipment and a sense of security
- Steel door handles with zinc plating for excellent protection from corrosion and rust
- Steep pitched roof for extra headroom and more overall winter equipment space
Yardsaver Steel Storage Shed
The Yardsaver by Arrow is a tough, compact metal shed that’s built to fit in tight places. It’s designed to lean against your house, a wall, or a fence and gives you plenty of room to store all the equipment you need for snow removal and wintertime fun.
- Made of durable galvanized steel treated with zinc to protect against extreme weather
- Horizontal siding with eggshell finish compliments most backyards and home exteriors
- Clearly labeled pre-drilled parts and easy to follow instructions make DIY assembly simple
Carports and Garages Keep You Ready to Go
A sturdy carport or a rugged garage can both be excellent options for keeping heavier equipment and bigger winter toys ready at a moment’s notice.
While carports and garages both offer accessibility and convenient space to park cars, SUVs, and small trucks, snowmobiles, ATVs, and UTVs; there are distinct differences between the two types of structures.
Strong, Sturdy Metal Carports
A carport is a semi-covered structure that typically consists of sturdy steel posts and a strong fabric or steel roof. In addition, they are designed to offer protection against rain, snow, ice, and the sun, and do not have doors or walls. In addition, carports come in a variety of sizes and can be configured to fit your specific needs.
A carport is designed to offer your vehicle excellent protection from the elements during the winter months. However, carports can also provide practical shade in a variety of other ways during the summer months. Check out these 5 unique uses for a carport.
Carports are ideal for people who own a light truck with a plow attachment, whether they use it to just plow their property after a heavy storm, or they do snow removal for a living. Just back your truck under your carport before the storm hits and drop the plow when you’re ready to start removing snow.
Let’s look at these sturdy, practical metal carports for your driveway:
The all-steel Arrow Carport is designed to tackle tough weather conditions and stand up to accumulated snow. It comes in 10-, 12-, and 20-foot widths and lengths ranging from 15 to 100 feet. The 2-in. steel tube frame and galvanized steel roof are treated to resist corrosion and rust.
- Rounded roof eaves and a 12 in. overhang offer extra protection from the elements
- Features a wind rating of up to 100 MPH and a snow load rating of 35 PSF***
- Slip-fit connections with pilot holes and self-drilling screws make assembly easy
SOJAG Samara Carport
The stylish and durable SOJAG Samara Carport adds an element of contemporary style to your driveway. The carport features a sturdy rustproof aluminum frame and a high-pitched galvanized steel roof. The wide area between the posts makes parking your car, SUV, or light truck easy.
- Brilliantly designed eaves enhance the unit and help drain water and snow
- Pre-drilled, pre-punched parts make the Samara easy to assemble and anchor
- Optional enclosure kit is available for added protection during the winter months
Fabric Garages and Metal Garages
A portable garage is a completely enclosed building with walls, a roof, and a doorway or an entrance. Detached garages are be made for fabric or steel and can be anchored to grass or dirt or a permanent surface like asphalt or concrete. Also, a portable garage can also be secured with a lock and key, so the winter equipment you store inside it will be safe.
You won’t need to clean snow or ice from your car, SUV, or light truck if it’s parked in a garage. Just start it up and head to work, the store, the gym, or wherever you need to go.
Here’s a look at some great garage options for your home:
The durable Garage-in-a-Box is the perfect size for mid-sized autos, small trucks, and compact cars. It features a sturdy powder coated steel frame and a ripstop tough triple layered polyethylene fabric cover. It’s easy to set up and take down and can be securely anchored to any surface**.
- Wide zippered roll-up front door for easy access to your vehicle
- Cross rail and ratchet tensioning ensure a continuous drum tight cover fit
- ShelterLock stabilizers ensure that the frame is stable and rock solid
The super sturdy ShelterTube Garage features an extra heavy duty 2 in. steel tube frame that is powder coated for increased strength and durability and a rugged triple layer ripstop waterproof cover. ShelterTube garages are 12 ft. wide, and can be configured in customizable lengths up to 100 ft.
- Choose from standard polyethylene, heavy duty PVC, and ultra duty PVC covers
- Features a wind speed rating of 80 MPH and snow load rating of 43 PSF***
- 2 zippered roll-up doors offer easy drive through access for cars, SUVs, and trucks
The ShelterLogic AccelaFrame is the only patented quick assembly custom garage on the market. These 12 ft. wide garages can be ordered in made-to-order lengths as short as 10 ft. and up to 100 ft. long. The AccelaFrame is engineered for quick assembly: some models can be built in less than an hour!
- Choose from standard polyethylene, heavy duty PVC, or ultra-duty PVC covers
- Heavy duty galvanized steel joints are twice as strong as joints found in most shelters
- Sliding cover rail keeps cover taught, properly tensioned, and stable
The tough all-steel SOJAG Everest is the ultimate metal garage for vehicle storage. It features a roll-up sectional garage door for easy access to your car, SUV, or truck, and a 28-in. wide side door with a keyed deadbolt for added security. It is built to take on the toughest weather.
- The Everest is 12-ft. wide and can be configured in lengths of up to 100 ft.
- Has a wind speed rating of 100 MPH and a snow load rating of 35 PSF***
- Features a premium textured paint with matte finish offers extra protection to the steel
Protecting your winter equipment from the winter elements will elongate its life. However, it can also keep you safe. Knowing where in your snowblower, shovel, or generator is all winter long will keep you prepared this winter and protect your items for years to come.
* Combustibles and corrosives must be stored in airtight containers designed for chemical and/or combustible storage. Corrosive chemicals such as chloride-based deicers, fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides should be cleaned off the interior and exterior surfaces immediately. Also, rust caused by chemical damage is not covered by the warranty.
** We always recommend a properly anchored structure. Please reference your manual for anchoring best practices.
*** Wind and snow loads given are for reference only and assume a securely anchored frame according to local building codes and ordinances. These have been calculated using combined snow and wind load provisions in accordance with ASCE 7-05. These calculations are based on an unoccupied, fully enclosed building. Local building code requirements vary by location; conformance to local codes is the responsibility of the purchaser.